Minister to Children and Youth
New Beginnings United Methodist Church located in Birmingham, Alabama is seeking to hire a part-time (15-20 Hours) Minister to Children and Youth. The Minister to Children and Youth is responsible for developing programming and ministries that guide children and youth through their early stages of faith development. The Minister to Children and Youth works with the pastor, church staff, ministry coordinators, and volunteers in planning, coordinating, executing, and evaluating all children and youth programs and ministries of the church.
Qualifications & Skills
- A minimum of an associate’s degree is required. Minimum of 3 years related ministry.
- An energetic, passionate, and spirit-filled Christian whose main objective is to witness to children and youth by helping them to grow and develop in their faith in Jesus Christ.
- Ability to work well with children and youth.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and channels of communication with children and youth, parents/guardians, Senior Pastor, church staff, ministry coordinators, and volunteers.
- Must be willing and able to maintain confidential information concerning personal matters.
- Proficiency in various social media platforms, computers, and software programs including working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (i.e., Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint or equivalent technology.
- Be familiar with or willing to learn about United Methodist heritage, theology, organizations, and resources.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Identify needs and evaluate existing programs, services, and activities for children and youth to determine effectiveness.
- Plan, organize, and teach lessons for Children’s Church on Sunday mornings.
- Plan, organize, and teach a small group Bible study for Youth.
- Plan, organize, and teach with the Senior Pastor the annual Youth Confirmation Class.
- Work with children and youth ministry team coordinators to recruit, train, and schedule volunteers/chaperones for all children and youth-related programs, activities, and events (e.g., Children’s Church, Confirmation Class, Easter Program, Easter Egg Hunt, summer camps, retreats, special trips, Fall Festival, Vacation Bible School, Christmas Program, etc.)
- Keep a record of children, youth, and volunteer participation within the church.
- Develop a system for communication and marketing regarding children and youth ministries within the church and within the community.
- Meet at least monthly with children and youth ministry coordinators and Senior Pastor to discuss upcoming events, issues, challenges, and resolutions.
- Be available to attend and report to Core Team meetings.
- Develop working relationships with local school administration in creating opportunities for connection and ministries.
- Keep abreast of current trends in children and youth education, programs, and youth culture.
- Inform the Senior Pastor of any problems related to the Children & Youth Ministries.
- Notify the Senior Pastor prior to any expected absences.
- Perform other tasks the Senior Pastor may request.
Compensation and Vacation
Salary and vacation negotiable
How to Apply
All interested and qualified persons must submit the following documentation via hardcopy to New Beginnings United Methodist Church, Attn: Sonia Gallimore 2133 32nd Avenue North, Birmingham, AL 35207, or electronic mail to :
- A current resume that addresses position responsibilities and requirements
- Three (3) letters of personal and/or professional references highlighting professional skills and personal characteristics
- New Beginnings United Methodist Church Job Application Form with supporting documentation
- Recent color photograph (optional)
Deadline to Apply
January 17, 2020
For More Information